Tuesday, 10 November 2009

small steps forward

Just over a month ago I realised I was having a few difficultys coping with the whole caring situation. Not the physical side of Caring but mentally I "hit a wall" I was getting bad temperd, insular and stressing out over the smallest thing. It came to a head when I came home after taking the kids out for a few hours and the first thing I did was pour myself a large G&T , And that large G&T was the best thing I had tasted all day.
To some people thats probaly not a big deal and yes "sometimes we all need a drink" but in my case I saw it as a warning sign. I'm from "celtic" stock and I've seen how my family uses Alcahol as a coping mechanism (myself included, been there once in my life not going there again.)
So on the Monday I did something that is not in my nature and sought help. I went down to the local Careers center for a drop in session.
And it was a good decision. I got a lot of helpful advice, which I even took!!! and also its a bit of a social thing and as they put it, A break from Caring. But we now have a social worker involved...and yes i'm just as guilty as the man in the street with my attitude (formed by the media) about Social Workers. But guess what this SW has actually got back in touch with us offering some help!
We have also began to kick the Doctors arse, To see our regualr Doc we will have to wait for 5 weeks but we are prepared to wait, Because when we see her we can lay all our concerns on the table and hopefully she will be on our side, instead of just pescribing us a new course of pills to make us go away.
Like I say small steps, small steps towards a eventual goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment