I started with elecric shavers in the 1980's. Which I never got on with. Then graduated to wet shaving when I was 18/19 and drinking heavily. The hangover gave me the extra edge of concentration, When hungover you can hear the razor scrape and cut the hairs.
And for the past 20 odd years I've stuck to Gillete razors, A brief foray into Wilkison Sword which was unsucesfull. I graduated through the Gillete range every time a 'new' razor came out, mach2, mach3, fusion, I tried it and moved up. And now I'm on the Gillete fusion powerglide which has the most expensive blades you can buy. Currently running about 12 quid a pack.
Which over a year adds up.
Plus they give a OK shave but not brilliant, like Homer Simpson I always have a shadow.
So this year for my Christmas* present. I'm starting down the Safety Razor route, I've picked out a nice gunmetal razor and a proper badger hair brush (I really hope someone dosen't read this).
I found out a few years ago from Pen that my breard hair is too coarse too thick for most blades. hence why the electrics and Wilkinson Swords never worked-A fact I always put down to the shape of my face.
I know I'm going to have to re-lean how to shave-because the techniques between a 'safety' and a 'disposable' razor are totally different. But its something I am looking forwards to. the new razor will last me a lifetime, and I do plant to graduate onto a 'Cut throat' razor eventually.
Shaving this way is a little more...Well a couple of things.
First off, a better closer shave.
Second, Its more 'Steampunk'.
Third, its a skill, a new skill to learn something to add to my arsenal of 'lost skills', like pastry making, sewing and balancing a buget.
And finally, Its much more Astheticaly pleasing, Shaving soap in wooden bowls, razors made of horn, steel, chrome, nickel and gunmetal finishes not paying the amount of money over the course of the year for plastic mass produced, disposabe products. The names of the company's conjour up images of small bespoke shops, family run firms supplying a nice quality market. Which to me ties in with the Steampunk ethic.
*I know i'm a Pagan but with family and freinds celabrating christmas is easier.
My hubby made the switch to safety razors a few years ago with great success. He's even converted me with a pretty gold and silver razor. I warn you though it can get very addictive going through all the different soap, blade and razor combinations ;-)
ReplyDelete