Thursday, 15 December 2011

Looking after yourself.

Well this follows on from the last post, but its something I've been musing on. How we look after ourselves, how we treat our bodies. (and yes I know I'm carrying 'some' extra mass at the moment due to my sedanatary lifestyle)
Over my life I've abused my body from the inside and the outside. With Alcohol in my 20's, A habbit that I thankfully broke. But junk food was much harder I ate crap, takeaways and if the food was home cooked then it was sugar and salt laden tasteless muck. Which I ate from age 20-36. And one day I'll have to pay a price for that with Diabetis maybe lurking on the horizon.
Over the past few years my diet has changed considerably. To the point where We can't stomach takeaways, the MSG, preservatives and fats give us Hangovers, indegestion and the shits. So now 99% of the food we eat is home cooked, minus the salt and sugar. I make my own bread, pastry and cakes which knowing what goes into the food, even if I am making cakes with sugar, I'm not adding E numbers and Lord knows what else the mass producers/supermarkets add. So better late than never I'm looking after my insides.

With work I certanly pushed my back and body to it't limits-Kind of, There are people out there who push themselves past the limits of human endurace. In my case it was again sustained abuse, little and often, bending to work at the wrong height, coming down with phnumonia twice because of the damp enviroment and only ever getting one day a week off to try and heal, and never mind the 26kilo lift rules. I've worked in factorys. Corners are cut, backs are bent, heavier weights are manhandled. H&S courses are only there to protect the factory from being Liable if you injure yourself while working...At 3am when the 50kg rolls are coming off your machine every 7 minutes and there is no one available to help you then you have to lift and shift them yourself. Yeah its not right but that's the diffrence between theory and practice. Not to mention the possibe damage i've done to my knees by the amount of time I spent kneeling on stone floors working in peoples kitchens.
And the PPE the facotry suppled. Boots from the lowest priced supplier. They were obliged to supply them and you were obliged to wear them (or supply your own safety boots). When I left there I had split and ingrowing toenails that took about 2 years to grow right again.
Nowadays I wear leather shoes, not trainers, not boots but proper shoes which breathe and over time shape themselves to the unique shape of my feet. At age 40 'm starting to look after my feet.
So why shave with a disposable plastic razor, when I refuse to wear disposable plastic shoes on my feet.
Quality products means expense, but not expensive and in the long term, quality products end up costing you less, both in money and in the wear and tear on the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment