Monday, 4 June 2012

Bikes

This was my first bike, Yes its a folding bike mine was identical to this except in red. I have no idea where my parents aquired it from, All my peers were riding Raleigh Grifters
While their elder siblings had Raleigh Choppers. Then in 1984 I recived a Raleigh Night Burner
I rode that bike till I was 16/17 and became more interested in cars. For a fixed gear bike I rode it regualarly to Newbridge with all my fishing gear on it. Then a seventeen year hiatus where I drove cars. Then age 34 I started to ride again. I had moved to Weaverham and brough a mountain bike out of the catalogue. Which was a pile of crap, the crank snapped while I was riding it, leaving me stranded in Delamere Forest miles away from anywhere. So I orderd a more expensive bike from the catalogue.
And this bike was once again a pile of crap,. I was suckerd in by the disk brake and the full suspension. Which were flashy acessories, the frame of the bike was steel. And I gave up riding it because I was living in a 1st floor flat at the time, after riding the 5 mile round trip in and out of Northwich I was too knakerd to lug the heavy thing up the stairs. I didn't give up, and Invested 200 quid (in 2006 money) on a alumiminum framed soid rear frame mountain bike. A much lighter bike with finger and thumb gearing. I've owned and used this bike for the past six years, After I moved from Weaverham into Middlewich and then Bridgend its been stored outside (but always locked up) Parts of it have gone a little rusty, and recenty its started to cost me money, I had to have a new rear gear setup fitted inclusing cables..they wore out through wear and tear, plus many inner tubes and a new set of brake shoes, It manages the trips into town with ease, and i'm doing about one, 16 mile round trip to Cowbridge a week. I do also have a spare bike, thanks to Sue which I use for short trips...Its a steel frame so a little heavier than the other. But I'm graetfull for a spare bike. I also have a bike rack for my car, and i'm planning on getting out and about into the countryside and down to the coast. Here in Wales we do have proper hilly countryside-unlike Cheshire where I grew up. Gears and decent brakes are a must. One closing comment....Wear a helmet. I do. I don't care how silly it makes me look, When I came off recently and managed to smash my glasses and squish my face...it could have been a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment