Apologies to Monty Python but rising from a conversation and the whole PFF Charlie Fox. I can now understand why so many CM's stay off the Interent forums.
There is the whole 'Hiel, conceal, never reveal.' Masonic aspect of CM with its 'secret' rituals. Which in this day and are are about as 'secret' as Masonic rituals. But while the mechanics and words of the rituals may be published online the meaning of the rituals are still.....well not secret but not understood. There are so many layers and metaphors with CM that they are supremely misunderstood. Especally in the area of Alchemy.
I always identified myself as a Magician first and a Pagan second. I came to Magic and preformed my first ritual-that worked in my work clothes, to me the dressing up aspect of CM with its robes and temples always seemed superflous, So the whole Pagan way of dressing with its tye dye and crushed velvet. Well to me thats just dressing up, if I want to dress up then I have my Steampunk for that.
Magic be it Cermonial, Ritual, Hermetic, Witchraft gets things done. Paganism is the dressing up and flouncy behavior. And as far as the 'Pagans worship many gods.' from the behavior of many pagans....If they truly 'Worshipped' their Gods and Goddesses. Well they have a lot less to worry about from other people in the magical and pagan community than they do from their own Gods. Even Loki has a twised sense of honour.
Speaking from experience any time I have attempted a act of worship or devotion it has blown up in my face. Any time I have worked with a particualr God, i've had much better results. I treat my Godwork the same way I treat work...with respect.
But speaking from inside the Pagan community. Whenever the Daily Mail trots out a headline complete with photo of robed pagans, or one of the rent a quote dressing gown wearers pops up on TV....I shudder. And a small part of me thinks 'We deserve this.'
No comments:
Post a Comment