Saturday, 14 July 2012

D/Rownload 2012


For the past 5 years we have been saying 'We will go to Download Festival' and for the past 5 years, something has come up. So last night we caught the Highlights of Download 2012 on the Sky Arts channel. And for the first time if didn't leave me feeling dissapointed that I didn't get there. It left me feeling glad that I had saved my money. First of all the weather...Yes I know the rain was out of the orgainisers control, but from all accounts the way they handled the condiotions left a lot to be desired. Now throw a wheelchair into that quagmire and we would have had a miserable time indeed. Second the bands. I've seen Metallica, Slash, ect live. As much as I disagree with Metallicas buisness practices, the way they treat bass players and the whole suing the arse of everyone. There is no doubt about their ability to play live and entertain a crowd...Or is there? Because from what I saw of the Highlights the crowd looked bored. Same with Slash...who really should have kept his shirt on-he looked like some kind of tattooed sweating baby. The crowd seemed more fired up but again...maybe the weather dampend everyones spirits. I know it was a hightlight show and its difficult to cram 3 days and 3 stages into 2 hours, but every year we watch the highlight show and every year we say 'Oh I'm dissapointed I couldnt make download this year' Except for last night...And as a casual rock fan that's not a good thing. Download You are in danger of loosing your audience, and bottom line is its the audience that can make or break a festivals repuatation. And its not really a question of the acts, Download 2011 had a lot of older acts Cheap Trick spring to mind. There is always someone at Download worth watching, this is one of the advantages of a 3 stage festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment