So on Friday night my right ear started to burn. Now I was always taught 'Left for love. Right for spite.' and it went on for hours. Whoever it was must have been having a real bitch session about me.
Which set me thinking about Superstisions and folklore and Magic, And how the three are intertwined. And how while many people who will scoff at the idea of Magic will quite happily throw salt over their shoulder and not walk under ladders. And while a lot of these superstions can be traced back to some practical and physical reason, there are still many which don't.
Superstisons fascinate me, how they become a habbit, where they spring from and how they endure, even long after the original reason for them has been forgotten.
Folklore is similar, How a culture makes sense of extreme events, and how they process and explain them through their cultural lense. And of how our cultural lense tries to make sense of them...in a Inception kind of way. I suppose the most modern equivalent of folklore is the Urban Myth, or in this internet age sites like Snops and the Straight Dope.
I'm at the point in my life and magical understanding where I'm searching for the truths behind the myths, For isntance the story of Noah's Ark. A question I did't even think of when I was a child was 'Where did Noah get the Polar Bears and Penquins from?'
And don't even get me started on the 'History' I was taught in school. A subject I really enjoyed and even attained a O level in. (Maybe that's what irks me so much, the work I put into shcool history and how it was wasted.) But getting back to Noah's ark and the flood myth. A little bit of digging on the internet or in Library's gives proof of a flood, Several floods, Some local to the Middle East and some planetwide. And with the planetwide floods come planetwide versions of the flood. And a plausible theory of Polar Glacial Meltwater lakes which would periodically burst and cause Tusamis and catastrohies. All this stuff we I was not taught in school or even alluded to.
But this is factual...even if a little obsured.
What about the origianl point, Burning ears. Pricking thumbs, Itching nose, or the itch between the shoulder blades, when you know you are being watched. Where does this come from, a primal survial trait? some kind of evolving ESP. I don't know but I can't deny that it works.
No comments:
Post a Comment