Sunday, 17 June 2012

Fathers Day


Well seeing as its Fathers Day today I though I would write a little about it. First of all I don't believe in this Hallmark Holiday, Its just a excuse to sell Cards, Mugs and Soft Rock CD's. Mothering Sunday there is a kind of reason for (9 months before the birth of the baby Cheesus). Where Fathers day I find a little...Meh. I don't mind the brightly colored holidays, I don't mind the way Halloween has crept across the Atlantic, at least you get some decent films on the tv and sense of occasion. But I've checked the TV lisiting and ITV isn't doing a day of Bond Films, Man V's Food and The Salvager. Plus there is the whole can of worms in the realtionship-or current non relationship I have with my own Father, and to a lesser extent the relationship my kids have with me. Being a Father is a biological trait. Being a Dad is a harder job because you don't have that biological link. In some families the father and the dad are one and the same. But in just as many they arene't. A Dad steers the kids in the right direction, Giving them rules and boundarys, showing strength, teaching children the things they don't learn in school. How to...Light a fire, Hang a shelf, pay a bill, where and when to swear, tie a shoelace, a tie and a noose. How to treat Women and so on and so on. Its not a Dad's job to be popular and matey to children, Not at the cost of respect. Because when children grow up they take attitudes and habbits with them into the future not the 'things' they have been brought. Being a Dad is part of the 'long game'. And the longest game of all is your children and grandchildrens lifes. We will cast a longer shadow than we think. Kids will remember the treats, But they will as they get older and become Parents themselves, remember which ones were treats and which ones were buyoffs. Its my Rosicrutian and CM outlook on this matter. Kids should respect their Parents, but Parents should be worthy of the respect and not expect it as a automatic right.

No comments:

Post a Comment